Thursday, April 06, 2006

Aid for Close to HOME

Why is it that churches in America send missionaries off to foreign countries to evangelize there when there are so many people unsaved within 1 mile of pretty much every church? Shouldn’t we take the thousands that save a few and use them closer to home where it will go farther and save more people. If you factor in the cost of plane tickets and lodgings for church groups that go overseas you could easily witness to many more people in the local area. The exact same amount of money would last much longer or just go out to more people. Maybe logic doesn’t belong in the church but I feel that foreign missions are just expected now but not necessarily the best choice. This brings me to the way that the church and the government send so much aid over seas, in the form of medication and wheelchairs, has no one ever been to downtown LA? No one ever took the time to drive a mile and look at all the people who need help here? Come on there were people in need before Katrina hit, but it took a natural disaster to get attention. There are just as many poor people in the Midwest in need from losing their jobs. Why do people always see some mentally ill guy on street (by the way we can thank the ACLU for getting that guy out of a mental hospital) but instead of giving him a nickel they give it to some organization for Africa. It is almost like you would rather help the person farthest from you, like the farther away they are or what country they are in makes your donation more righteous.

14 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Good use of shock words like "slavery", but I think we're all past the second grade here. Total selfishness is childish and unrealistic.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

The way you speak of selfishness sounds too much like the way you have altruism. Every time you do anything (like doing things for friends for example), you say it's to benefit you to have friends. Almost anything anyone does makes them feel better. Like I would personally make my self happy and I would benefit from doing something like a Mission to a foreign country. Why is it when you do something its selfish, but if I do the same thing its altruistic. I think you're confused on the meanings of the words. Things like love and friendship for an example are altrustic things, it simply doesn't work any other way...or else you're probably gonna find yourself knee-deep in problems. For some reason you think all altruism is about bringing ruin to yourself...for some reason...when it will 99% bring some good in return to the people enacting it. (btw, arguing over a blog is stupid)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Okay, so you being friends with me for example, is that selfishness?

4:36 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hmm...well that changes the way I think of things.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

I view love and friedship as altruistic acts, they are selfless. I personally would die for my friends and the people I love.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Its like you're twisting two important and sacred things to fit your agenda.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Sorry about the posting in segments, but I'm tired. Actually, I can kind of understand, cause when you die you have nothing, whereas me on the otherhand I have heaven. So it basically comes down to a fear of death, and since you believe this to be the only life you have, you have to live it for yourself, which is why in relationships I'll always be more selfless than an objectivist, cause without a fear of death, I can look out for everyone else with disregard to myself.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

By agenda I mean objectivism, apparently we have two different meanings of friendship and what a friendship should entail, but whatever, what you believe effects what you do.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I hereby claim this blog the property of Ben!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Yeah...Hayden doesn't really post here anymore...

6:29 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

Sorry my internet had decided to stop working, and I agree, I didnt post this article because I was sure I was right I posted it because I wanted other opinions.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Still...I clearly claimed this blog...so it's still mine.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Teaches them the gospel.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

WTF?!?!? I don't know what kind of fisherman you are! I teach mine the gospel!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home