Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I AM FEEBLE

I finally thought of something worth saying. I don’t like being eternally feeble. God has put things in the and in the world and in the universe that I just cant understand, and to my knowledge know one knows the answer to some of these questions. I guess I should be content to know that god is in control but that also makes me feel insecure. Now anyone who knows me knows that there are two doctrine in the Bible that kill me; Predestination, and Election. I cant wrap my head around the idea of a loving, perfect God sentencing some of us to death. But then I am confronted with the fact that those going to hell do not get injustice they merely receive what we all deserve. The few elect receive mercy(I really really like that word). This means we simply receive better than we deserve. So not a single person truly receives injustice. Now some may say why would God do this he made us, so on and so forth but he is glorified in all things. The execution of mercy and justice, no matter how difficult justice is to accept. I can accept this, I am of the lucky few elect who receive mercy and knowing that there is justice makes mercy even more of a thing to relish no matter how cold that may sound.
I just cant deal with predestination. I don’t like the idea of not controlling my own actions but at the same time I like the idea of trusting in God, so I am somewhat conflicted. Predestination humbles me every day because I know that free will also exists. This discussion runs through my head at least once every day (usually more than once though). God never stops reminding us of how much greater than us he truly is and I guess it is a good thing, as long as you open your eyes or listen or just stop to think God will find a way to manifest his omnipotence and glory.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Mercy...how many points am I up to?

7:22 PM  
Blogger Cha said...

Fuzzy is correct. The reason justice is good is not arbitrary nonsense like god or karma; justice is acting in accordance with reality. Some actions are objectively bad for human life, some are objectively good. You learn what is good and what is bad according to whether you benefit or suffer from them.
If I take an action that is bad for me (in the long run) but dont' suffer the consequences, I dont' learn that it's bad. Likewise, if I do something good but don't get to reap the benefits, I won't learn it's good. Justice is not the arbitrary declarations of supernatural bullshit, it's the real life-and-death benefits and costs of taking actions in the world.
Like fuzzy pointed out, your brother does not properly suffer the consequences of stealing; he'll learn that he can get away with stealing so long as someone's there to take the blame. This obviously has negative consequences down the road when he thinks he can count on someone to save him from the consequences of robbing the liquor store, and no one does.
Your notion of "someone, but anyone, needs to absorb the judgement" is fallacious, because there's no god keeping some universal justice tally. What matters is whether the person in question learns the consequences (good and bad) of his actions. That is what justice is.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home