Tuesday, April 04, 2006

more than book smarts

I feel as though something I have been trying to say for a long time has finally been said by one of the teachers from my school that I look up to. I have always said that just because I cant spell very well and am not very good at math, that doesn’t make me stupid. I can do other things. I am not sure what exactly but I feel as though I am capable of discussion beyond some of my friends (I am not bragging I just hope that I am not imagining this as a strength). I cant solve geometry problems quickly, I cant name every major part of a mitochondria (sorry Mr. Smith) and I cant write an amazing paper off the top of my head. But I feel like if I have someone who challenges me in a belief I can defend myself rather well. I know that I can easily be put down (in a teacher to pupil positive learning way) by certain teachers i.e. Mr. Hervey, but I feel like I can at least form somewhat of a discussion. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I do not have this strength but I feel like its all I have going for me so I hope so. Either way I have gotten off topic but the point was that there are different strengths and different forms of knowledge than seem to accepted. This partially ties into my previous entry about knowledge, I feel like I try my best and this is just what I am good at. I also feel like SAT testing is worthless because of this (just had them).

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

But without math there's no economics!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Now history...there's a subject...

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home